30 Odd 6 is your weekly feature focusing on the 30th driver in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series. Like last the past couple weeks, we’re focusing on 6 odd facts but there’s ANOTHER twist – we’re focusing on the 30th place qualifier AND finisher from the Bass Pro Shops NRA Night Race.
Name: J.J. Yeley
Age: 40 (Turns 41 in October)
Hometown: Phoenix, AZ
Team: Tommy Baldwin Racing
Odd 6 Facts
1. His actual name is Christopher Beltram Hernandez-Yeley. He goes by J.J. because of a close family friend and his father.
2. He puts a lot of time and energy into charity work, particularly children’s charities. For example, he’s participated in fund-raising opportunities for the Victory Junction Gang Camp, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn. and the Jake Owen Raborn Foundation and has hosted the “J.J Yeley Drives for Kids” golf classic in his hometown.
3. In 2009, he broke three cervical vertebrae in a sprint car crash at Lakeside Speedway in Kansas. As someone who’s broken vertebrae in the past, I have empathy and say OUCH.
4. His hobbies include golf.
5. He has a wife, Kristen, and daughter, Faith.
6. He’s also teamed up with the Delaware Department of Highway Safety in 2011 to help raise awareness for seat belt safety and the importance of a designated driver.