We’re back with 30 Odd 6! However, this one is a little different. For those who are new to Brake and Clutch, this is reserved for those who finish 30th or near 30th in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series. This week, though, the 22nd-place finisher seems pretty interesting.
Name: Mark Thompson
Hometown: Cartersville, GA
Team: MBM Motorsports
- His brother was a writer for Walt Disney World until 1983; he’s now Phoenix Air’s COO.
- Thinking of Phoenix Air, he originally started it as a parachuting school but now, it’s an air transport company for the US and foreign government agencies. Mainly, it carries government employees who’ve been infected by diseases (ie bringing Americans who were infected by Ebola in Liberia back to the U.S.). It also provides tactical electronic warfare training services to the Navy, Air Force and Air National Guard.
- He was a helicopter pilot in the Vietnam War.
- Thinking of flying, he’s got an ATP license (makes sense, given his connection to Phoenix Air) and has five type ratings.
- He has two grown children.
- He’s only four years younger than NASCAR itself (he’s 66, NASCAR is 70).