30 Odd 6 is your weekly feature focusing on the 30th driver, normally in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series. This week, we’re highlighting the 29th place finisher in the Xfinity Series.
Name: Ryan Reed
Hometown: Bakersfield, CA
Team: Roush Fenway Racing
- He was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 2011 and was told he’d never be able to race again.
- He’s one of three drivers in a national racing league with diabetes (the other two are Charlie Kimball and Conor Daly over in IndyCar).
- His engine tuner injects him with insulin during races and he has a glucose monitor on his dashboard.
- His foundation, Ryan’s Mission, focuses on bringing about awareness of type 1 diabetes.
- He’s the youngest of four children.
- Outside of the car, he enjoys wakeboarding, karting, lifting, triathlon training and video games.